RE: How safe is software RAID compared to how safe hardware RAID is!?

Thanks for everyones replies.. that's given me a real feel for how its being
used by you guys..

I've gone through a week of discovery and should the need arise i will
certainly look into it even more.. hopefully i've gone far enough that for
the near future *touch wood* i'll be at that "it just works" stage, and the
next linux learning step can be mine to frustrate me :)

Having had problems with the device i will be testing it a lot over the next
few days/weeks.. i'm comforted by the array staying up in the event of a
drive failure.. I'm a little worried that I am not going to spot a drive
fail.. I guess thats what the mdadm monitor stuff is for!?!? if i run this
once will it work forever or just until i power down?!

Its also reassuring that during my wrestling with the corruption problems i
was having i discovered that whilst not ideal you can mount the constituent
mirror raid drives seperately and deal with them... this perhaps gives me
something that i can fall back on although the normal array should be online
anyways so its kind of redundant.. if need be i can make a backup of my
backup of those ULTRA important files before attempting to rebuild the
array...

Thanks again... The only thing that i was kind of justifying paying £100 and
above on for the 3ware cards was that it claimed to be able to get SMART
info off my hdds.. i don't know if the promise ultra 100 ATA controller does
this.. and i'm not sure how you get SMART/temperature information out of
drives in linux anyways.. I will go searching for that... with a new case
ordered though my backup machine should be sufficiently cooled

Cheers

Jim

-