Re: how to which to bigger disk (md can do it?)

On Monday November 17, bluca@comedia.it wrote:

> Really weird idea: please do not do it on real data.
> You will probably shoot yourself doing this
> - Switch the disks one by one.
> - When you are over create a new raid5 over the existing one (keeping the
> same settings for stripe size and parity algo)
> - Resize the filesystem.

Not so weird - it is exactly what I was going to suggest.
Providing you get the chunk size, parity algoithm and device order
right, and use "--force" to make sure mdadm doesn't re-arrange the
devices on on it should work perfectly.

Somewhere low-down on my todo list for raid is allowing this to be
done on-line (mdadm /dev/md0 --size=max).  It is right along side
allowing the number of live devices in a raid1 to be changed
(mdadm /dev/md1 --devices=3) and adding devices to a linear array
(mdadm /dev/md2 --add /dev/sdd).

NeilBrown
-