Re: moving softraid5 from a computer to another

On Monday September 22, miguillo@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
> perhaps some of you could help me
> this week-end, the server crashed (in fact processor burned) but raid has
> nothing (i hope)
> The problem is that i cant have access to the data:
>
> old config (amd850MHz on asus a7v)
> number in array: 0 primary master on second ide host (ultraata100)
> number in array: 1 primary slave on second ide host (ultraata100)
> number in array: 2 secondary master on second ide host (ultraata100)
> new config (p2 on asus p2b) (i know it's older that the old config)
> number in array: 0 primary slave on first ide host
> number in array: 1 secondary master on first ide host
> number in array: 2 secondary slave on first ide host
>
> when i try to start the raid (raidstart --all) it recognise only 1 (one)
> disk as member of the array but i can found which (neither in the log nor on
> screen "dump") and it don't whant to do anything because there is not enough
> membre.

I suggest you get mdadm, possibly from
   http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/raid/mdadm/
and read the man page, and then use
  mdadm --example /dev/....

to see exactly what is on the drives, and

   mdadm --assemble /dev/mdX /dev/.... ....

to assemble the arrays.

If, after reading the manual page and trying things out, you have
further questions, please ask.

NeilBrown