Re: Problem converting raid-5 array from 2.2.17 into 2.4.22

Problem solved!

Using mdadm, I discovered that the superblock's checksum was supposed to
be something else, but it was - zero! So, I wondered, what the heck, maybe
if I'd use some hex editor and change the actual checksum to be what it
expects... and turns out that it worked!

So it appears that there is a bug in "mkraid --upgrade" that leaves the checksum
being zero, while it should (re)calculate the checksum and set it to its correct
value after upgrading. I used the raidtools version 0.90.x which comes with debian
stable, though; I don't know it the problem exists if you upgrade with raidtools
1.00.x. I can provide details if someone is interested.

If someone else has experienced this, I recommend lde (linux disk editor) for editing
the raid root block. Block numbers I found from an old syslog (where it says that
raid disk cannot be due to invalid superblock checksum)

Phew!

-J