Re: RAID5 causing lockups

Going along with some suggestions of other respondents, be very suspicious of your power cables. I had a hell of a time getting a stable raid running because of dodgy power cables. More accurately, the 5v or 12v lines in some of the little plugs were kind of loose, and they would lose contact. So get in there with a pair of teeny pliers or tweezers and crimp those babies on tight.

As an aside, has anyone ever experimented with any type of conductive compound when putting these things together? IMO the cheesiest part of the setup is the crappy PC-style power connector, and I wondered about various solutions from compound to soldering on a PCB for a more reliable means of powering drives.

Best of luck to you.

Corey McGuire wrote:
Well, two of my drives did have an older bios, but the upgrade changed nothing.

I noticed that even unmounted, as long as I didn't raidstop the device, the system still crashes.

I tried setting down my bios as much as possible, and I am looking to do the same with the kernel, 2.4.21. I'll try the magic sysrq key, but I can't find my nulmodem cable to save my life, so I'll have to barrow one from work.

My server marches on, but without /dev/md2... I'll try just letting it sit, /dev/md2 intact, over night, but for now, I need it up, even if it is only for fits and spurts.

Thanks everyone, keep the ideas rolling in.

--
Matthew Mitchell
Systems Programmer/Administrator            matthew@geodev.com

-