Re: Crashing a software raid 5 partition ( disk trouble )

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 10:08:09AM +0200, Nicolas Meaux wrote:
[lost 2 members of a raid5]
> In the FAQ i read :
>
> In short: quite often you get a temporary failure of several disks at once;
> afterwards the RAID superblocks are out of sync and you can no longer init
> your RAID array.
> One thing left: rewrite the RAID superblocks by mkraid --force
>

> But when i type this command, i have :
> DESTROYING the contents of /dev/md2 in 5 seconds, Ctrl-C if unsure!
>
> And i am very afraid off this , i dont want to loose my data.
> ( my /etc/raidtab is conform as my raid architecture )
>
> Finally, i would like to say, that i have backup the most important data,
> but not all the data.
>
> So, the question is : is there any way to restore my raid partition or
> recover data on it ?
> Or did i have loose everything ?

I did a `mkraid --force' once, after two two hdds locked up nearly
simultaneously. It worked.

But I do not know what happens if one disc has been out of the raid for
a longer time.

LLAP, Martin

--
pgp-key: https://mh57.de/cc/view.php?file=/martin/pgp