Re: Benefits from computing physical IDE disk geometry?

Chuck Ebbert wrote:

The way you would do a good "goodness" function, I guess,
would be to search through all requests on the device, and return
the minimum distance from the request you are running the query
on. Do this for both queues, and insert the request into the
queue with the smallest delta. I don't see much else doing any
good.

 That would be perfect.  And like you say in a later message, they're
in a tree so it might actually work.  Then the read balance code
wouldn't need to do that calculation at all.

How hard would this be to add?

It would be easy to add. Though of course it would have to
be shown to give an improvement somewhere to be included.

On the other hand, if you simply have a fifo after the RAID
scheduler, the RAID scheduler itself knows where each disk's
head will end up simply by tracking the value of the last
sector it has submitted to the device. It also has the advantage
that it doesn't have "high level" scheduling stuff below it
ie. request deadline handling, elevator scheme, etc.

This gives the RAID scheduler more information, without
taking any away from the high level scheduler AFAIKS.

But then wouldn't you have to put all that into the RAID
scheduler?

No - as far as I can see, the RAID scheduler already does
this. Having FIFOs between it and the disks would simply
make its assumptions valid.

-