Somewhat ot, but I think that this is a place to ask

Hi everyone,

This post is somewhat OT, but it does have to do with md, and also I know that people that hang out here are knowledgeable about this stuff...

Anyway, I am working on a project where we have some data streaming in from an AD converter onto a card attached to a PCI bus. The data rate is quite high, about 80 MB/s. The PCI card is a local bus master, and a PCI slave device. My intention is to have the data from the PCI card (which is essentially an LVDS to PCI converter) transferred onto a large RAID 5 created using md. I am doing this since I need redundancy and reliability (which I am hoping RAID 5 will provide) and also the high tranfer rates that I will get by combining disks into a RAID.

I still haven't decided on what kind of SCSI controller and what kind of SCSI disks I will use in this project, and I am very much open to suggestions from people here. I am toying with an idea of using a 64 bit PCI bus mobo, and thus a 64 bit SCSI card, since I have read that data rates of up to 266 MB/s (i.e. double of standard PCI) are possible with this.

My main question is this: is it possible, and if yes under what circumstances, that two PCI devices (in this case the LVDS->PCI card and the SCSI card) can transfer directly to each other, without writing to RAM first, i.e. can the LVDS->PCI card transfer data over the PCI bus directly to the SCSI card? If this is possible, it would make planning a lot easier.

Well I have some more questions, but I want to see whether this is too OT to be discussed here or not. Anyway, if anyone here think that they can help, or have some useful links and this turns out to be too OT, I would be much oblidged if you would reply by email.

Thanks and cheers,

Vlad.