Re: XP RAID vs md

Well Daniel what is your take on this? I am very interested in this since I am working on a project which has to use RAID, and performance is paramount (after reliability of course). I need to make a decision, and I would like very much to stick with md, since it is what I know and am used to. But if one can get huge performance margins using XP, then I am going to have to consider that.

Cheers,

Vlad.

Illtud Daniel wrote:

[posted & mailed]

Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

Wow... I hope that one of the maintainers will comment on this, I didn't
even know that XP had a sw RAID implementation. Up to 100% more on read
and 60% more on write is quite a significant margin. Is there anything
in favour of the md driver if this is true?

I've not really checked these numbers yet, so take the following with a grain
of salt.

Have a look at http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2002/HPL-2002-352.pdf - that'll tell you were the figures are from - the 100% is worst-case.

However, with RAID1 for example, I got approximately twice the read speed and
95% of the write speed (compared to just using a single disk).

One thing I forgot to mention in my post is that this is all (AFAICS) RAID0.

I have a really hard time imagining a 100% read boost; that would simply
exceed disk bandwidth, and 60% writes - how should that work?

The md driver seriously underperforms at certain request sizes, and is generally underperforming. The average boost is less, but still about 40-60% read and 30-40% write. XP's RAID0 is better than JBOD above a certain request size, which is pretty good.

I'm not claiming md is perfect or the fastest imaginable solution, but it is
rather close to theoretical disk bandwidth. A two digit percentage performance
improvement just can't be done.

Well, that's why I asked in my original post for people to look at the report. Is isn't that long and it's pretty clear (although short on config details).

--
Illtud Daniel                                 illtud.daniel@llgc.org.uk
Uwch Ddadansoddwr Systemau                       Senior Systems Analyst