Re: about the speed

Farkas Levente wrote:

> I'm just read
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2002/HPL-2002-352.pdf
> may be it's worth to read. an intersting thing about performance (XP,
> their user-space raid and than comes kernel raid).

Any comments from md developers? This is from the abstract:

 The paper contains preliminary results from an investigation comparing
 Linux and WindowsXP disk I/O using kernel-based software RAID on
 identical hardware. WindowsXP performance is shown to be substantially
 superior to Linux performance, for reasons not currently understood.

And the meat of the report:

 5.5. Direct comparison

 Of crucial interest is the direct comparison between WindowsXP,
 the kernel-based Linux software RAID implementation, and the
 userlevel software RAID implementation.

 From Figure 8 it can be seen that csraid generally outperforms
 the kernel-based RAID driver, and its performance is far more
 stable, particularly for large requests. Also, the WindowsXP
 RAID driver is astonishingly good, even compared to JBOD, with
 JBOD?s performing better for request sizes smaller than 4MB
 and WindowsXP performing better at the larger sizes.

 csraid?s performance is generally less than WindowsXP, but
 overall the loss is not catastrophic, and is likely
 sufficient for the most purposes.

Figure 8 shows that XP's RAID can be 60+% faster than md at
writing, and up to 100% faster at reading (at request size
7MB, which is rather a blip). Any inital thoughts on this report?
Has the performance changed substantially since? The distro was
Mandrake 8.2, the kernel 2.4.18-6mdk. Any comments on the
methodology or conclusions?

--
Illtud Daniel                                 illtud.daniel@llgc.org.uk
Uwch Ddadansoddwr Systemau                       Senior Systems Analyst