Re: Raid1 and mdadm

On Tuesday April 1, Paul.Clements@SteelEye.com wrote:
> "Cress, Andrew R" wrote:
>
> > However, you MUST link the md driver into the kernel.  It doesn't work right
> > as a module, even in initrd.
>
> BTW, it would be nice if this were fixed, so that md could be compiled
> as a module...would the maintainers be willing to accept patches that
> would make "autostart" a module option, so that upon insertion of the md
> module it would do the autostart stuff, or something similar? From what
> I can tell, we basically need to remove some ifndef MODULE stuff and
> make the autostart option call autostart_arrays(), as it is when md is
> linked into the kernel...

No.  I would not accept patches.
Not because I fundamentally disagree with autostart, but because it
wouldn't work.  I suggest you try it.

> Or is there a better way to do this?

Yes.
initrd/initfs is "the right way".
As far as I know, it *does* work.(*)  You do not need md linked into the
kernel.
You have md.o and whatever personalities you want in the initrd image,
then in the initrd script (linuxrc I think) you load the modules, and
use mdadm to assemble the raid arrays.
You then mount the real root and off you go.

NeilBrown

(*) I say "as far as I know" because I have never tried it, because I
have not yet found the need.  However I believe that others have been
successful.
I have perfectly happy compiling the raid driver into my kernels so
I have never bothered with initrd.
-