RE: 3ware bad write speed.

>  I have several questions:
>
>  (1) Does this problem only exists in 3ware ide raid adaptor?
> We test SCSI
> too, it is much faster.
>      If it is 3ware's driver problem, scsi raid should have the same
> problem.
>  (2) Has 3ware fixed this problem yet? They claim they support linux.

Not sure about these as I have no experience with the 3ware cards

>  (3) One solution is to setup 3ware in jbod mode and use linux
> software-raid.
>      what percentage of CPU used if using software-raid? It
> might cost too
> much CPU power
>      without using hardware raid.

I just setup a 26 disk software RAID10 array on Linux and it has put a
minimal load on the CPU's (my box is a Dell PowerEdge 6600 with quad
Xeon 1.4GHz with HT enabled).  I will be moving this box to a 52 disk
software RAID10 setup as soon as I finish testing some kernel patches.

I can recommend software RAID on Linux without hesitation.  The kernel
developers have done a great job with MD.

>  (4) Other than 3ware, is there any better raid card
> supported by linux?

We moved from hardware to software RAID because we couldn't find a
hardware card that gave us the performance that we wanted.  I have the
52 disk RAID10 array described above setup on some test hardware at work
and tiobench, with 4 threads and 32KB blocks shows 515MB/s sequential
reads (ext3 default journaling mode).  And as I said earlier, the load
on the CPU's is minimal in my setup (OLTP and batch database
processing).

-