RE: Using mdadm.conf to create arrays

The shell script sounds like a better idea.

Basically here's what I'm doing - I'm replacing our hardware RAID setup
with Linux software RAID.  We have 56 disks attached to this system and
we're going to run a RAID10 array.  I have to create 26 RAID1 arrays (52
disks mirrored + four spares) and then strip across those.  I wanted to
have a "one-stop-shop" if you will with mdadm and mdadm.conf so if there
is a way to setup mdadm.conf once to create the arrays and to start them
upon boot, I would like that instead of having to create them all by
hand and then use 'mdadm --examine --scan' to create mdadm.conf and
after that's created then assign spare-groups.

Also, would there be any benefits with doing RAID100 (2 RAID10 sets
striped) other than I could go over the MAX_SB_DISKS limit (according to
dmesg MAX_SB_DISKS=27 which would indicate to me that I can only make an
md device with 27/28 real block devices)?  Would I get any performance
benefit, or would performance actually decrease?

I sent an email to the list a couple of weeks ago to see if anyone has
done something this large with software RAID and Maurice from HardData
said that he had, but that's all I've heard so far.  Have you heard of
this magnitude in production?  I want to make sure I'm not digging a
hole for myself :)

Thanks,
Andy.