wait-option for assembly during boot process ?

Hi folks!

Since some (including me) use software raid (1 and 5 in this case) for swap and ext3 external journal partitions, I would appreciate it if Neil or some of the code hackers (I myself actually don´t understand any C) could add the following option.

I boot from a software raid / and /boot (which is assembled after an according append to the kernel parameter line (here is the documentation for that, anyway?)). During the boot process, the other md devices, which hold for example an ext-3 external journal and swap space, and other data partitions, are assembled and mounted (or just used).

But if the last shutdown left the md devices dirty, they are resynced during the next bootup while already in use. For normal ext2/ext3 data partitions, this is no problem, but for swap and possibly ext-3 journals this is deadly.

What I would like to have is an option in mdadm.conf (through which the arrays are configured and started automatically) like "WAIT" which holds up the boot process (i.e. usage of the not yet resynced devices) as long as resync takes. And these devices should be resynced first, so that one does not have to wait for the resync of a terabyte-big data array that uses part of the same disks.

How can I determine the order of assembly anyway? From top to bottom in the config file (at least for arrays that don´t share the same disks)?

Thanks very much, Norman.

Norman Schmidt Institut für Physikal. u. Theoret. Chemie
cand. chem. Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet
schmidt@naa.net Erlangen-Nuernberg

-