Re: 3ware 7500-8 confusion

On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 21:08, Alvin Oga wrote:
> hi ya Raiders
>
> okay... i confess ... i'm lost and confused ...
>
> we have a dual amd mb + 9 drive bays w/ 200GB drives
>
> the drives are connected to a 3ware 7500-8
> and the drives is recognized during bios bootup and linux-2.4.19/20
> bootup recognized the controller too
>
> the 3ware bios created the raid array out of the 8 drives
> ( supposedly .. waited a long time for it to finish )
>
> 3dm was installed from the cdrom that came w/ the controller
>
> http://localhost:1080
> 	- shows the list of drives in the raid
> 	- shows the other info abut the 3ware card

Sounds like you've got things set up correctly.

> but now that i wanna use the hw raid, and want to do:
> 	fdisk /dev/md0
> 	mke2fsc -j -m 1 /dev/md0
> 	mount /dev/md0 /Raid
>
> but there is no such thing as /dev/md0 ... *pout*

Err, right, there isn't.  /dev/md? is only for software RAID devices.
If you've got the 3ware kernel modules loaded, then your 3ware RAID
device should show up as /dev/sd?  dmesg should have more info, or
/proc/scsi.

> what is the name of the device ( /dev/xxx ) that 3ware built ??
> 	- went digging/googling around but didnt find my answer yet
>
> 	for freebsd ... i think its /dev/twed
>
> -- if its supposed to be /dev/md0 ... guess some step along the
>    way is missing in the steps i did to configure the 3ware 7500-8 card
>
> 	-- ie .. i dont see the 3ware bios section that allows
> 	a JBOD vs raid5 either... so its defaulted to raid5 for now

There is a way to configure the 3ware card to just work as JBOD.  I
don't recall what it is offhand (I've got an older card with only 4
ports as well).  It doesn't seem to make much sense to buy a pretty nice
RAID card like this one and then not use it's RAID features, though.
HTH,
	Greg