Re: Raid Persistent Superblock Question..

Ok. I am carefull. But, I want to be able to mangle with the superblock, in
order to have my kernel 'autodetect' a disk as being a member of a specific
md device.
If for example you install Redhat on a box, with all the things on software
raid (including /), Redhat will autogenerate a raidtab, with every disk
having a permanent superblock. That will glue forever your disks to md0,
md1, etc (sadly, Redhat install will not allow you to specify which mdNNN
you will use for what, except if you are doing kickstart install).
If you will move the disks in another box (also Redhat), the other box will
go bezerk, since by the 'magic' of array membership autodetection it will
autodetect your new disks as part of a md device
and then it will refuse to create the correct md device with the existing
disks. (that is, if the box has md devices overlapping with those on the
other box, eg. md0 used for / on both, etc)
The new disks (in my case) got a correct SCSI assignment (newdisk 1 = sdc,
new disk 2 = sdd, which is correct).
So far, I have seen a lot of tools that either query the superblock, add a
disk in the array, etc. I did not seen one that can let one edit the
superblock of a raid device.

/Mike