Re: RFC - new raid superblock layout for md driver

Neil Brown wrote;

>I would like to propose a new layout, and to receive comment on it..

 >/* constant this-device information - 64 bytes */
    >u64  address of superblock in device
    >u32  number of this device in array  /* constant over reconfigurations
    */

 Does this mean that there can be holes in the numbering for disks that die
    and are replaced?

    >u32  device_uuid[4]
    >u32  pad3[9]

 >/* array state information - 64 bytes */
    >u32  utime
    >u32  state    /* clean, resync-in-progress */
    >u32  sb_csum

 These next 2 fields are not 64 bit aligned. Either rearrange or add
    padding.

    >u64  events
    >u64  resync-position     /* flag in state if this is valid)
    >u32  number of devices
    >u32  pad2[8]

>Other features:
   >A feature map instead of a minor version number.

Good.

   >64 bit component device size field.

Size in sectors not blocks please.

   >no "minor" field but a textual "name" field instead.

Ok, I assume that there will be some way for userspace to query the minor
   which gets dynamically assigned when the array is started.

   >address of superblock in superblock to avoid misidentifying superblock.
   e.g. is it >in a partition or a whole device.

Really needed this.

>The interpretation of the 'name' field would be up to the user-space
>tools and the system administrator.

Yes, so let's leave this out of this discussion.

EVMS 2.0 with full user-space discovery should be able to support the new
superblock format without any problems. We would like to work together on
this new format.

Keep up the good work, Steve

-