Re: messages after server crash

On Tuesday November 12, bernd-schubert@web.de wrote:
> Hello Neil,
>
> thanks for your answer.
>
> > > Well, the 'delaying resync ...' messages are easy to understand, but are
> > > they related to the 'resync aborted' messages ? At least the /proc/mdstat
> > > looks fine.
> >
> > It looks fine ... but the arrays probably aren't in sync.
>
> How can we force the syncing ?

You could try
		mdadm --readwrite /dev/md?

that should probably do it.

> > The 'resync aborted' is caused either by IO errors, which should show
> > up in dmesg, or the resync threads being signaled, or by the array
> > being switched into readonly mode.
>
> Hmm, I think the dmesg-output doesn't show IO-errors and since we write to the
> disks (our home-partition is on it), it shouldn't be readonly, either.

Which only leaves some process sending a SIGKILL to the raid5syncd
thread... is that at all possible?

> > I'm curious about this raidautorun which said:
> > md: raidautorun(pid 89) used obsolete MD ioctl, upgrade your software to
> > use new ictls
> >
> > That appears to be part of mkinitrd.  What distribution are you
> > running? What version?  What version of mkinitrd?
> >

> This is a Suse-7.3 system, but with vanilla kernel and without initrd-support.
> I guess it comes from the Suse-start-up-scripts, that try to enable the raid,
> though it was already enabled by the kernel.
> The raidautorun-binary comes from the Suse-raidtools package (version 0.9), is
> there an upgraded version available (I found only patched debian packages,
> but no general tgz-files) ?

Ok, I managed to find it. It just does ioctl(, RAID_AUTORUN) on
/dev/md0 which just prints out a bad-ioctl error message.  It isn't
implicated at all.

NeilBrown
-