Re: promise sx6000 success / raid options

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Vlad Milovanovic wrote:

> ext3 will not slow things down noticeably. I also don't know what type
> of disks and how many disks you are using, but 15 MB/s seems very
> slow. You have also not specified what RAID level you are using, so it
> is difficult to say what your performance should be (ballpark figure).

The 15 meg/s is with a 5 120 gig raid0. I get approx the same with a 6 or
8 disk RAID5 with a 3ware 7500 controller. This is all with hardware raid
enabled.

I recreated the RAID5 with 8 disks today and used the stride=16 option and
that didnt seem to change anything when it comes to performance.

> But to answer your question, I have found stride option to make a huge
> impact in RAID 5 setups. Also, depending on what kind of system you
> are running, you may want to look into using the -T largefile (or some
> other) option, to let the filesystem reduce (or increase) the number
> of inodes that you have created. You should pay attention to the way

I used the 100000 bytes/inode when I created the system, sounded like a
nice number.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se

-