Re: RAID 4 and RAID 5

On Tuesday October 15, vlad@webmail.co.za wrote:

> Now here is the crunch : both RAID 4 and RAID 5 give me EXACTLY the same
> results, both in read write performance. I am using many programs for
> benching, hdparm, bonnie, iozone, tiobench and the results are
> consistent and repeatable.
>
> Does anyone know with any degree of certainity whether RAID 4 is
> supported in Linux? What exactly is the status of that? I know that
> there is no point in using RAID 4 over RAID 5 but I want to know so that
> I am able to document it.

raid4 is definately supported in linux.  It is supported by the raid5
driver so there is a possibility of some confusion.  However it sounds
like you are setting it up correctly.

You would only expect to see a performance difference between raid5
and raid5 when doing lots of small widely distributed random writes.
You would probably also need a fairly large array (at least 5 drives)
to be able to measure much and you would need to be sure that none of
the busses are in a position to cause a bottle neck.  Basically you
need to get the raid4 parity drive overloaded with parity read/updates
before you will see it slow down.

NeilBrown
-