RE: 3ware 7500-12, bad write speed

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Adam Radford wrote:

> This is because of the vmlayer and your bdflush settings and the fact
> that you are running a journalling filesystem.  Our raid 5 caching
> strategy gives the best results when given sequential writes.  Doing
> journaling fs and caching writes in the vmlayer causes the firmware
> caching strategy to perform 'sub optimal' since the lba's accessed
> aren't actually sequential.  Thus your 15 MB/s.  We do do elevator seek
> in the FW, but this can only help you so much.

Any specifics in the bdflush settings I should be aiming for? I have
fiddeled some with the settings and I cannot seem to make much of a
difference.

Would it help to mount that particular partition in with "sync" mount
option? I have already changed the mount option to data=writeback in order
to have less journaling data being thrown around.

What I also do not understand is that in some 5 second intervals I get
iostat claiming there was only 500 kilobyte/s written when doing my test
with dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=1024000 count=2000. What in the world
could cause the vm layer to have that big of an impact that it would only
be able to write just 500 kilobytes in a second?

I have this bdflush setting at the moment:

echo 100 5000 640 2560 150 30000 5000 1884 2 > /proc/sys/vm/bdflush

I have made several radical changes to the bdflush settings and if any, it
made things worse.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se

-