Re: [reiserfs-list] How to get all disk geometry (logical/physical) equal for RAID5

On Saturday 07 September 2002 15:15, Dieter Nützel wrote:
> Hello Neil, Chris,
>
> Sorry that I bother you but I'm under some hurry 'cause a school server
> crashed and I have to set it up over the weekend, again.
> It had double disk fault in RAID5. The second disk show the damage during
> RAID5 reconstruction ;-(
> So I changed all 4 disks with another brand and put a fifth one as spare
> in.
>
> hda (the spare) is on the on board VIA 686b controller and show some "bad"
> logical numbers so that I get a different partition layout.
>
> hde and hdg are on the on board HPT 370
> hdi and hdk are on an additional HPT 370A IDE card
>
> hdb is for installation only
>
> Any chance to change the logical disk layout of hda?
>
> Second to you and Chris:
> Is it possible to boot from the mirrored RAID1 partitions (hdX10) with the
> current lilo-22.x (SuSE 8.0)? With ReiserFS?

Addition:

Should I better skip all the partitions on the volumes and stay only with the
"raw" devices (maybe only hdX1) and create the partitions on the RAID5 array
(something like md0pXXX and maybe md1 for a RAID1 boot device (the lilo
thing))?

Is ReiserFS usable on such a system, too?
On my former "layout" it works so far and had for nearly a year.

My cylinder layout and boot question stays.

Which scheme should I use when LVM steps in?
LVM -> RAID5 -> partitions
or
RAID5 -> LVM -> partitions

Sorry for the "little" OT.