Partitioning a RAID device

Hello,

is it possible to have partitions on a RAID device?

I tried to use fdisk/cfdisk for that. I could set up partitions named
md0p1, md0p2 and so on. The names were given automatically by the tools.

After quit and restart, cfdisk showed the partitions I just set up.
But the corresponding special files were missing, so I created
them using mknod.

After a reboot, cfdisk still reported the partitions to be on the RAID
device, but whenever I try to run a mke2fs, it reports

mke2fs: Device size reported to be zero.  Invalid partition specified, or
        partition table wasn't reread after running fdisk, due to
        a modified partition being busy and in use.  You may need to
        reboot to re-read your partition table.

Anything I am missing here?

TIA,

 arne

 Arne Wiebalck                        Kirchhoff Institute for Physics
                                           Technical Computer Science
                                                     Schroederstr. 90
                                                   D-69120 Heidelberg

 e-mail: wiebalck@kip.uni-heidelberg.de      Tel.: (+49) 6221/54-4362