Re: PATCH - change to blkdev->queue calling triggers BUG in md.c

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Andries Brouwer wrote:

> Now it seems Al is doing all the work, so I can just sit back and watch.
> But I hope he makes precisely this: a kernel that does not do any
> partition reading of its own.

I disagree, if only because of backwards competibility issues.

On a conceptual level I think you're right. However, it will break too
many standard installations as is.

If/when we have a reasonable initrd setup that is usable, we could do some
automatic partitioning of devices that are available at bootup to minimize
the impact, but I don't think it is realistic otherwise.

		Linus

-