RH 7.3 raid1 setup

I installed RH 7.3 on raid1 using the standard
RH 7.3 GUI setup.

Everything installs fine. According to mdstat
raid1 seems to be running fine:

# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
md1 : active raid1 hda5[0] hdc5[1]
      3494016 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md2 : active raid1 hda3[0] hdc3[1]
      16892224 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md3 : active raid1 hda2[0] hdc2[1]
      19454592 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md0 : active raid1 hda1[0] hdc1[1]
      361344 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>

However when shutting down the system and
disconnecting the 1st IDE drive I cannot
boot from the mirrored disk. I assume this
is because the MBR is not mirrored.

So to see if all the data is present on the
mirrored disk I launch the "linux rescue" mode
from the RH7.3 CD but it cannot find any partitions
to mount from on the 2nd mirrored disk.

Making the same with the primary ide disk works
fine, in thsi case "linux rescue" can mount all
partitions.

How can I check if all data is being mirrored
on the 2nd ide disk?

How do I make the 2nd ide disk bootable?
(I use grub as bootloader)
I already tried:

root (hd1,0)
setup (hd1)