Read Only RAID5

Hi,

My Colleagues and I are working on constructing a large low cost
data archive. One option is that we construct disk arrays from
linux servers each containing 8 160GB IDE drives. The 8 drives
will be organized into a single softweare RAID5 array. I have 2
prototype systems that seem to work well.

Once the arrays are filled, the data should never change. I
can mount the disks read-only easily enough, but the md
software doesn't care about that. I've found that if power
is removed from my software RAID systems, or they crash with
a kernel panic, upon reboot the raid5d sync is woken up, and
the the disk arrays re-syncs for a few hours. It is not clear to
me why this is the case. A more troubling error condition arises
when one of the disks does not come up at boot time because of a
power or cabling problem, for example. If this happens, the
remainder of the array will start up with 7/8 disks and mark
the 8th disk as bad in the super block of each of the good disks.
Fixing the cable and rebooting the array still leaves the
system compromised.

I want a system that behaves like a RAID array constructed from
CD-ROMS. The RAID software should have the knowledge that the data
on the disks will never be altered, and should never be altered.
There seems to be no "read-only" option for the raidtab. mdadm has
a -o option that marks an array as read-only. This will prevent the
array from needing to be re-synced after a hard crash, but I can't
mark the array as read-only until it has been assembled, leaving
the array vulnerable to the cabling problem described above.
That is, mdadm -A will not work with the -o option.

I am considering making the hard disk devices (ie. /dev/hd*)
read-only, but I am not sure that linux software RAID will work
if I do. Will it work?

Does anyone have advice on how to make my static data remain static?

Thanks -Andy