RE: SW RAID6 ?

> You can get parity sets of the appropriate size (and necessary non-multiple
> intersection) by calculating parity vertically as well as horizontally.
> Evenodd utilizes this with fixed parity drives, IIRC.  The illustration of
> RAID6 at http://www.acnc.com/04_01_06.html implies this, though the
> illustration they show will not work (losing the first and last drive would
> lose data block A0 as well as parity A and parity 0.  Rule of thumb -- a
> chunk that is a member of a two parity sets cannot have both parity blocks
> on the same drive).  However, there ARE schemes that will work with simple
> encoding.  The original RAID 6 implementation did not use simple encoding,
> IIRC it used Huffman codes.
>
> The reason it hasn't been used (I know of no commercial RAID6
> implementations) is performance, but not because of the trivial parity
> calculation time. RAID6 is very performance expensive for the same reason
> that RAID 5 is performance expensive.  It's not the calculation of the
> parity, it's the disk I/O for writes.  A small write to a RAID 5 can result
> in two reads followed by two writes.  A small write to a RAID 6 can result
> in three reads followed by three writes, and with vertical parity striping
> the likelihood of a full-stripe write goes way down.
>
> That said, I'd like to get around to making a RAID6 driver sometime.  I
> think using small RAID6 chunk sizes and pulling in a full parity page on
> each access might get respectable performance.  But it will be quite a bit
> more hairy than the RAID 5 driver.

If performance is not really an issue, perhaps you should consider
Reed-Solomon codes.  This would allow flexible N disk redundancy and
would enable one to not only reconstruct from multiple device failures, but
identify a device that give erroneous information.  R-S codes are
what they use on CDs and tapes.  This "RAID-N" would be a real CPU hog,
but arrays of dozens of disks would be possible (and who's using all of his
2GHz CPU anyway?)

-