Re: SW RAID6 ?

> There's a bit more to RAID6 then adding a second parity block in a stripe.
> Consider the following stripe:
>
> D1 D2 D3 P1 P2
>
> If P1 and P2 represent the same encoding of D1 + D2 + D3 (say, XOR like RAID
> 4/5) you cannot withstand the loss of any two drives.  If two of the data
> drives go down, you are still toast.
>
> You can withstand two data drives going down by not using the same set of
> drives.  If P1 = D1+D2 and P2 = D2+D3, you can now withstand any two data
> drives going down.  But if P1 and D1 go down together, you are still toast.

My interpretation was that the cross-encoding of P1=D1+D2 and P2=D2+D3
was a given.  Is that wrong?

> That said, I'd like to get around to making a RAID6 driver sometime.  I
> think using small RAID6 chunk sizes and pulling in a full parity page on
> each access might get respectable performance.  But it will be quite a bit
> more hairy than the RAID 5 driver.

I'm not sure "respectable performance" would so important with a driver
like this.  My boss would be very interested in using a RAID6 driver
because of the added reliability.  We don't care about access speed -
the server is on our crummy 10Mbps ethernet, behind a 386 firewall.
As long as performance doesn't bottom out to something really abysmal,
people willing to make the speed/reliability tradeoff aren't going to be
too bothered.

Ross Vandegrift
ross@willow.seitz.com
-