Re: mdadm-0.7 2TB detail

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Neil Brown wrote:

> > mdadm --detail gives a bogus "Array Size".  Also, the "human_size" value is
> > calculated wrong since both "Array Size" and "Device Size" are in 1024 byte
> > units already and not 1000 byte units.
>
> The "human_size" is given as MiB or GiB (Mebibytes or Gibibytes) and
> so a multiples if 2^20 or 2^30.
> Presumably you were expecting SI Megabytes or Gigabytes (10^6, 10^9),
> which I guess we could do as well.

I've been thinking about this and I don't see the purpose in using the GiB
value. I honestly don't know if it's a commonly used term or not. I don't
hear it used very often in the US, but I know that Linux has a worldwide
user base. So slap me if I'm being ignorant. I first came across the
"human readable" forms when looking up some reference information for
exabytes and petabytes while writing about journaling file systems and
kernel and VFS limits. But I never really saw the point of Gib/Mib versus
GB/MB, except that sometimes it's useful to discuss things using the same
numerical base.

Anyway, the short of it is that I vote for things to be represented in
gigabytes, since that's what hard drive makers use when they sell hard
drives. I can't come up with a simpler argument than that.

P.S.: I came across this funny tirade when looking around for info about
Gibibytes (that sure is hard to type).
http://www.uglx.org/gibi.html

---
Derek Vadala, derek@cynicism.com, http://www.cynicism.com/~derek