Re: Raid5 race patch (fwd)

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Neil Brown wrote:

Hi !

I tried latest patch but still no cigar :((

> Thanks.  However I still cannot reproduce the problem, or figure out
> any way that it could be happening...

I think we should concentrate on fact, that something stays locked. Now
I have raid1 setup and after reboot raid1sync proces is stucked and cat
/proc/mdstat blocks on console in D state.

> Here is another patch that you could try.  It incorporates the
> previous patch and adds a bit more locking particularly around the
> list of md devices.

I'll try to see if I can find a place where we are locking ourselvs out,
but I have to admint that Your work is quite to advanced for me.

Since I found a host at our clients permises with 2.4.6 kernel and raid5
setup, where no OOPS were reported I started to look when things changed.
I found that in 2.4.9 was introduced change in md_error:

-       if (!mark_rdev_faulty(rrdev))
+       if (rrdev->faulty)
                return 0;

with mark_rdev_faulty being

-static inline int mark_rdev_faulty (mdk_rdev_t * rdev)
-{
-       if (!rdev) {
-               MD_BUG();
-               return 0;
-       }
-       if (rdev->faulty)
-               return 0;
-       free_disk_sb(rdev);
-       rdev->faulty = 1;
-       return 1;
-}

Now, I know that's not the thing we are looking for now (as it still has
some window for race) it seems to me that something along this line would
be a quick fiks for the problem. I actualyy don't know, if I will be able
do make clean "backout" from this version but will try anyway.

	lp
		gody