Re: How Do You Move Partitions from one raid-1device to another?

On Tuesday February 26, jhill@hronline.com wrote:
> Moving drives and partitions after a massive hardware failure, I ended up
> with partitions on the wrong raid devices. My new raidtab was correct, but it
> appears nothing reads the raidtab file other than mkraid. Yes?

Yes... so don't use raidtab.

<plug>
Try mdctl:

  http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/source/mdctl/

It allows you to examine the raid superblocks so you know exactly what
is there, and then you can then assemble them with a fair degree of
control.
</plug>

> I assume the recognition is made through persistent superblocks, but I'm not
> certain how to erase them. I suspect that I could mke2fs the wrong partitions
> and erase them, but then again maybe not.

Why do you want to erase them?
Maybe you just want to change the partition type to something else, so
that they are not autodetected.

NeilBrown
-