Re: perfomance on IDE-Raid

I've been using software RAID-1 for at least two years and just switched
to RAID-5 for most of my servers.  I've always opted for software RAID
because none of hardware IDE controllers seemed to have a way to tell if a
drive had failed without the use of a windows program.  Does anyone have
experience with the HighPoint or 3Ware IDE RAID controllers in a situation
where a drive went bad?  When your servers are 45 miles away in a cabinet,
beeps and blinkin' lights don't help.  :)

-Kristian