RE: Raid-5, LVM, Reiser FS

Chris,
LVM is developed by Sistina Software
(http://www.sistina.com/products_lvm.htm). They also have a current
version of LVM-HOWTO available on their site, which seems to be more
recent than the one on LDP. LVM, perhaps unlike MD, is a work in
progress, current stable version, afaik, is 1.02, and there are frequent
updates, both to the kernel code and the userspace tools. On the other
hand, version 2 is also under development currently.
In my opinion, you should use LVM if a) you will frequently need to
resize your array and b) striping or the redundancy offered by raid-5 is
not a high priority to you.
LVM can do striping for a logical volume, but then you can't expand that
LV, at least not with current implementations. On the other hand, it
doesn't offer the redundancy of either raid-1 or raid-5.
MD offers stability, I think it's also more widely implemented, and it
offers the safest and fastest performance your array could give, under
raid-5. When it comes to resizing, I tried raidreconf just last week,
and Jakob, the author of this nice tool helped me a lot through the
process. Even though it worked rather well (under the circumstances), my
opinion is that raidreconf is ok and pretty useful if you will only have
to do a resize or array conversion (e.g. raid-0 -> raid-5, or chunk-size
reconfiguration) only a few times in the array's life.
As disk capacity is constantly growing, and you create bigger and bigger
arrays (500gb, 1tb or more), resizing/converting such an array with
raidreconf will take a substantial amount of time (days).
So my suggestion is, if you plan to resize your array frequently, or
otherwise experiment with it (chunk-size, raid-level), if you can't
backup 500+ gb of data every time to disks or other media (that also
takes a long time) and especially if you don't care so much about the
redundancy/performance offered by raid-5, i.e. you can live with some
lost files from bad sectors you won't manage to recover if a disk goes
berserk; in that case you should use LVM.

You could also use a MD in LVM, but the only use I see in that is to
create dynamic virtual partitions over it, while maintaining a level of
redundancy at a lower level with raid, should something fail. Adding an
MD in a logical volume, together with other devices, is rather a rough
solution in order to expand your array, and I'm not so sure if an
existing filesystem on the MD would survive after the MD was added to
the LV, so that you could resize it to use all of the available capacity
in the volume. Another similar, yet safer fix is what was proposed to me
last week: make a new MD, consisting of the old one plus any new
devices, and use linear as the raid-level of the new array. This way,
the underlying fs on the old MD is preserved for you to resize and
reuse.

Good luck,
Cajoline Leblanc

RAID-5