Problem with RAID-1, 2 IDE disks, Linux Red Hat 7.0

Hello,

we have a serious problem with the following configuration:
- 2 ide disks on separate ide channels on an ASUS-A7V board (hde/hdg)
- Red Hat Linux 7.2 with Kernel 2.4.7

We initialized the array with two partitions /dev/hde1 and /dev/hdg1
of the same size (both type 0x83) with mkraid /dev/md0 (no problems).
This was last year in January or so.
Then one of the disks crashed and gave us the according output in
/proc/mdstat so we replaced the faulty disk (but with a bigger size,
because there was no smaller disk available anymore). We didn't create
any partitions on the new disk and made a raidhotadd /dev/md0 /dev/hdg
--> everything was okay again (only fdisk /dev/hdg said that /dev/hdg
did not contain a valid partition table).
Then the second of the disks crashed and we did the same procedure by
replacing it with the now repaired one from the first disk crash, so it
was replaced with the same size. After raidhotadd /dev/md0 /dev/hde
everything was running again.
(the two operational "partitions" were now /dev/hde and /dev/hdg)

Yesterday we had to reboot the server, and when it wanted to mount the