Re: [RAID] Scripts watch SW RAID1 for HD failure - mdctl

On Monday February 4, rw@firstpr.com.au wrote:
> Junaid Rizvi wrote:
>
> > What about  mdctl --monitor ?

,,
> After searching this mailing list, I found that mdctl lives about 1000
> km from here:

That would put you in ... Melbourne?

> I would like a way of ensuring the report system really works, without
> actually having a RAID failure.  I suppose I could doctor the source to
> achieve this.   Looking at Monitor.c, it does not yet add anything to
> the system logs if there is a failure.

No, that's the
 	/* FIXME log the event to syslog maybe */
bit...

>      if we detect an array with active<raid and spare==0
>      we look at other arrays that have same spare-group
>      If we find one with active==raid and spare>0,
>      and if we can get_disk_info and find a name
>      Then we hot-remove and hot-add to the other array
>

> This last paragraph seems to replicate what I thought was the automatic
> function of the existing RAID software - to add in a spare if necessary.

The idea behind this last paragraph is that we might want a floating
spare, that could be attached to any of a number of arrays.
I think that this sort of job is better done by user-space than by the
kernel.  The idea is that "mdctl --monitor" would do it for you if so
configured.  I haven't got around to finishing that bit yet.

NeilBrown
-