RE: raidreconf

Hello again Jakob :)

Actually, in that case the controller was a HighPoint HPT366 and it was
built into a custom built 2.4.9 kernel, not as module. I really have no
idea why it wouldn't work, the raid driver would just say it can't find
the partition on that drive that was moved from the onboard ide to the
hpt controller.

> It will print out a message saying how much physical memory it
detected
> in the machine ("Detected XXX KB of physical..."), and a message
saying
> how many outstanding requests it will buffer ("A maximum of XXX
> outstanding
> requsts is allowed").
>
> raidreconf should use approx. 1/3 of the physical memory in the
machine,
> so 7% seems a little low...
>
> > So, if it took 3 hours to add 50 gb to a 60 gb array, a rough
> > calculation says it will take about 19 hours to add 100 gb to a 380
gb
> > array, which is close to your calculations, yet still lower.
>
> My calculations was a very rough estimate - perhaps you will see a
> performance degradation when moving to larger partitions (because
average
> seek time will be slightly higher), but I'm not sure if that is going
> to be noticable at all.
> > On another note, I also noticed I currently use a 32 kb chunk-size,
> > which is rather small for such a large array, while it also doesn't
seem
> > very useful since we don't have such a large number of small files.
So I
> > thought I should perhaps it would be wise to also convert to a 64 kb
> > chunk-size.
> > The question is a. is it safe to do such a conversion at the same
time
> > as adding the new device to the array and b. do you think it may
> > severely affect the time it takes for raidreconf to finish?
>
> It *should* be safe.   But as you increase the complexity of the
> operations
> that raidreconf has to perform, you increase the chance of hitting a
bug
> that I don't know about...   I would try it, but keep good backups  :)
>
> It shouldn't significantly increase the time raidreconf takes to run,
as
> it does all of it's work in one pass.
>

> > After I write this, I will also try running raidreconf for a
> > chunk-resize on this now-110 gb array, see how long it takes and
report
> > tomorrow.
>
> Please let me know about the memory/request numbers

OK I tried the chunk resizing, I have attached all the output from
raidreconf. I did something a little out of the ordinary: converted from
a 16 kb chunk-size to 128 kb chunk-size. I don't know if this could have
affected what happened.
Is 128 kb a usable chunk-size? As far as file size efficiency is
concerned, 128 kb is still ok, the target filesystem (the one I plan to
update soon) is reiserfs with a default 4k block size, but the files are
considerably large.
Is the conversion from 16k to 128k somewhat obsurd? Crazy? Too much?
Impossible? :)

Now, as to what happened. First of all, the memory/request numbers:

Detected 224056 KB of physical memory in system
A maximum of 1436 outstanding requests is allowed

I don't know how that translates in memory usage, however it was using
about 30 mb of memory most of the time, when I was checking on it.
Also, as you can see in the log, it says:

I will SHRINK your old device /dev/md0 of 6863248 blocks
to a new device /dev/md0 of 6863240 blocks
using a block-size of 16 KB

The old and new raidtab were identical, apart from the chunk-size
setting. As you can see, the new device it tried to make is 8 blocks
smaller than the first one, and that is strange by itself, I think...
Could the reason be the chunk-size change?

Then at about 80% of the process, after about it ran out of memory. I
started it around 11 PM, and at 8 AM it was at about 60%. All this on
the same 110 GB md0 I had expanded with raidreconf the night before.
Unfortunately I wasn't monitoring the process at the time this happened,
and when I got back everything was normal, cpu load and mem usage, and
there were only these messages on the terminal. So I don't really know
what happened, however the box wasn't running anything else cpu or
memory intensive, only raidreconf.

Now as for what you replied to my other e-mail, about raidreconf's
behavior if it comes across bad sectors and can't read from or write to
them properly, you are right; the best it could/should do is retry a few
times and if it fails, just mark the block done and move on.
The filesystem will have some errors, but hopefully they will only
affect a very small number of blocks. If raidreconf aborts, then u
probably need to mkraid and start from scratch, all over again, with a
blank filesystem. So an erroneous fs is obviously much better than that
of course :)

That's all for now. Thanks again Jakob and everyone for your help and
sharing your experience with raidreconf and these issues :)
Best regards,
Cajoline Leblanc
cajoline at chaosengine dot de

-