RE: raidreconf

Jakob,
thank you very much for your prompt, quick answer, you sorted out most
of the questions I had.

So this means I have to maintain the device sequence in the new
arrangement, right? I hope this doesn't sound too naive, but how will
the raid layer know the new location of each partition?

> > Apart from the possible problems one may come across with
raidreconf, as
> > warned by the authors, I also read that raidreconf will take a
> > considerable amount of time to complete the conversion, so if there
is a
> > way to do the relocation without using raidreconf, I would prefer
it, to
> > stay on the safe side.
>
> Yes, raidreconf runs can be fairly time consuming.  A chunk-size
> conversion on
> a 40-60 GB RAID-0 can take several hours.  It all depends very much on
the
> amount of memory in the machine - raidreconf will make generous use of
> whatever
> RAM you have in the machine,  but converting 100's of GB arrays on a
32 MB
> box
> is going to be very time consuming (I did the 40 GB 32->64K chunk-size
> (RAID-0)
> conversion on a 48 MB box, and I think it took around 4 or 6 hours -
but
> that
> was a silly experiment really).

I decided to do a test tonight with a few drives I could repartition
just for this. I used two drives, 80gb and 100gb, made two equal-size
partitions on each, and made an array with the 2 40gb and the 1 50gb
partition. I copied something to it, filled about 1.5gb, and then tried
raidreconf to add the second 50gb partition to the array. The box had
224mb RAM and a Duron 850 MHz processor.
It gave an estimate of about 12 hours to complete the process. I let it
continue for about 2 hours before I aborted, and it hadn't reached 20%
yet. I am not sure how much memory it used, unfortunately I just didn't
look.

Is this estimation accurate or close to accurate? So could I assume that
adding a 100gb disk to a 380gb array would take a multiple of that time
to complete, perhaps more than 48 hours?

> On RAID-0, I don't know of any other way than using raidreconf for
adding
> disks.    You could, however, create a new linear array over your
existing
> array and the new disk.   With a little care, some -f options for
mkraid,
> and a following ext2resize, it should be quite possible (and safe if
you
> do not make mistakes and do not have a power outage...  ;)

I suppose I can't make a RAID-0 array that consists of the existing
array and the new disk and still preserve the existing filesystem, since
the striping might overwrite the fs, right?
Can you be a little more specific as to what I should take special care
for in this process? I am not sure I got it right, but I don't know
if/how the resize utility will be able find the filesystem that was
running on top of the old md0 under the new linear-raid device.

> (On a related note: raidreconf is rather sensitive to power outages -
it
> does not currently keep a journal or log over moved blocks, so there
is
> currently no way to recover data if the reconfiguration is halted)

Yes I know, it's one of the reasons I hesitate to use raidreconf, along
with the other problem, that I'm not sure I can keep the box offline
(with the raid stopped) long enough for raidreconf to finish its' job.

Thank you again. This has been a big help for me to decide what to do in
this situation.

Regards,
Cajoline Leblanc
cajoline at chaosengine dot de