Re: raidreconf

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 06:51:46PM +0200, Cajoline wrote:
> Hi.
> As for relocating the drives, someone told me that just moving them
> along the new ide slots so the initial device sequence (that I used in
> the raidtab when I mkraid'ed) is preserved would be enough for that
> matter. However, I'm afraid that's not right. This is the first
> question.

If you use persistent superblocks, the RAID layer will figure out by
itself when you move the disks.  The superblock will contain the
data telling "this partition is number X in the array".  So you should
be safe there.

> After looking around, I came across the raidreconf utility at
> http://unthought.net/raidreconf/index.shtml

The utility is meant for re-configuring arrays, meaning,
*) conversion of chunk sizes  (eg. 32 to 64k chunks)
*) conversion of raid levels  (eg. RAID-0 to RAID-5)
*) conversion of raid layouts (eg. adding more disks to existing arrays)

It is not needed for moving a disk from one channel to another.

> First of all, that page as well as the HOWTO included in the package
> available there mentions that this tool was written by Jakob Østergaard
> but it is currently maintained by Danny Cox. The HOWTO also mentions
> that raidreconf can be obtained from http://oss.connex.com. However,
> that host seems to be down in the last few days. The version of
> raidreconf-latest.tgz available on the page above is dated November 1,
> 2001 (120092 bytes). Does anyone know if there is any more recent
> version, where it can be found and who is the current maintainer?

I suppose that I am the maintainer.    Danny "almost-officially" took over the
maintainership, but it's been a very long time since I've heard from him.

However, very little maintenance has been going on.  I have used the tool every
now and then, with good success - but I do not use it on a daily base (far from
it!), so there is not big development happening right now.

Also, every now and then someone says they will try it out, but I have yet to
get a failure report (and I kind of miss success reports as well  - hint ! ;)

The version on my web page is the most recent, unless Quantum has been working
on this tool behind closed doors, which I have no reason to believe they would
(they willingly gave me back the code with their bug-fixes after a period where
I was too busy to fix the last bugs, and where they were interested in the tool
- Kudos to them, and Danny and the other great people there !).

> So the last question is this. I know I do have to use raidreconf for
> adding a new disk to the array, but do I also have to use it if I just
> relocate the drives to different IDE slots? Does it make any difference
> if I maintain the initial sequence of the devices, as it was in raidtab
> at the time of mkraid'ing? Or is there any other similar trick one can
> do to do the relocation, avoiding the use of raidreconf?

You don't need raidreconf for relocating disks.

> Apart from the possible problems one may come across with raidreconf, as
> warned by the authors, I also read that raidreconf will take a
> considerable amount of time to complete the conversion, so if there is a
> way to do the relocation without using raidreconf, I would prefer it, to
> stay on the safe side.

Yes, raidreconf runs can be fairly time consuming.  A chunk-size conversion on
a 40-60 GB RAID-0 can take several hours.  It all depends very much on the
amount of memory in the machine - raidreconf will make generous use of whatever
RAM you have in the machine,  but converting 100's of GB arrays on a 32 MB box
is going to be very time consuming (I did the 40 GB 32->64K chunk-size (RAID-0)
conversion on a 48 MB box, and I think it took around 4 or 6 hours - but that
was a silly experiment really).

On RAID-0, I don't know of any other way than using raidreconf for adding
disks.    You could, however, create a new linear array over your existing
array and the new disk.   With a little care, some -f options for mkraid,
and a following ext2resize, it should be quite possible (and safe if you
do not make mistakes and do not have a power outage...  ;)

(On a related note: raidreconf is rather sensitive to power outages - it
does not currently keep a journal or log over moved blocks, so there is
currently no way to recover data if the reconfiguration is halted)

:   jakob@unthought.net   : And I see the elder races,         :
:.........................: putrid forms of man                :
:   Jakob Østergaard      : See him rise and claim the earth,  :
:        OZ9ABN           : his downfall is at hand.           :
-