Has anyone configured for IP Phone Group Paging (aka Multicast RTP, using uLaw or aLaw or G.722 codec)?

Turns out that almost every IP phone out there can be configured to send and receive one-button speakerphone "paging" functionality.

This standard capability uses multicast RTP, with specific IP and port configured for each Page group. Most phones can monitor several groups.

I am thinking that the exact same functionality would make a wonderful, simple, whole-house intercom/paging system. "Time for dinner!" etc :-D

Has anyone configured PulseAudio to send or receive these signals?

I'd love to set up so:
- in-ceiling speakers can play the "paging' message
- various devices with a microphone can be used to initiate a "page"
- etc...

Am I missing something in thinking this ought to be quite doable with this package?

Pete