Re: How to be sure about the quality of the audio?

Start from https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/focal/man5/pulse-daemon.conf.5.html , paying special attention to "DEFAULT DEVICE SETTINGS".

If you upsample, say,16 bits up to 24 bits, you do not lose quality. In fact, if several channels are mixed, e.g. two channels from two different programs: sum = k1 * c1 + k2 * c2 , you gain quality because of smaller rounding errors.

Anyway, define quality first. And realize that if channels being simultaneously played have different sample rates, at least one of them has to be resampled WRT sample frequency.

--Sergei.