Start pulseaudio without graphical login

I have a machine to which I mainly login using ssh, and seldom
directly. It holds my music, and sometimes I would like mpd to play it
to local speakers. But unless I login directly to the machine,
pulseaudio does not recognoise the sound card.

How do I make pulseaudio work without a graphical login?

The machine runs Manjaro.

Thanks.

Vikas