Re: How manage volume remotely on pulseaudio

To be clear, you want pavucontrol installed on your kid's machine, and
you will run it directly from her machine.  (In theory, you can run
pavucontrol on your machine, but control volumes on your kid's
machine.  But I expect that to be even more complicated.)

So, the first step is to make sure X forwarding is working as
expected.  Ssh into your kid's machine, then try to run a familiar
graphical program.  I always use "xlogo" for this, it's about the
simplest X11 program possible.  But, in my experience, many modern
Linux distributions do not install this by default.  If xlogo is not
installed, and you can't figure out how to get it installed, try
running something you know works, like an xterm (or gnome-terminal,
Konsole, rxvt, etc), or even a browser.  This is just a sanity check
that you can run graphical X11 programs on your kid's computer, but
have them display on yours.

As I wrote that, I thought of something: do you know, does your
distribution use Wayland instead of X11?  If so, that complicates
things, as I am not familiar with getting Wayland to do remote display
the way X11 does.

Let us know how it goes!