Delayed muting of studio speakers

Hi, everybody!

It takes me back to have subscribed via Mailman to an email distribution list.  I'm generally able to solve my issues via Googling, but this one's proven tricky.

I recently bought a pair of KRK Classic 5 speakers to replace a pair of M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 speakers that had developed a rapid popping noise in the internal amplifier.  The new speakers sound fantastic, but they have an odd spontaneous muting issue, at least as configured.

The issue is that the speakers seem to become muted (first one, then the other, usually L->R) after some time of playing without any issues.  My provisional solution is to crank the volume past 100%, which un-mutes them (though at an unpleasantly loud volume).  This clears up the issue, though it usually happens again a few minutes later once I've brought the volume back to a reasonable level.

Based on my Googling, I tried modifying analog-output.conf.common to "ignore" volume.  Here's the PCM block:

[Element PCM]
switch = on
volume = ignore
volume-limit = 2.0
override-map.1 = all
override-map.2 = all-left,all-right

Sadly, this didn't seem to make any difference.  What else might I try?

I have a passing familiarity with audio concepts, and one difference that I noted is that the new speakers have about half of the impedance of the old pair (which never had this problem).  Do sound cards use impedance to detect the presence of a device?  It's plugged into line-out (lime green) on an Asus Xonar SE (the motherboard (Asus PRIME Z390-A) had the same issue).

Also, the audio is fed to each speaker separately rather than being fed to a single speaker and bridged to the left via speaker cable.  Maybe that's a factor?

The brute-force thing would be to just mark the line-out port as "always on" and to skip attempts to detect whether there's a device connected.  Can PulseAudio do this?  More elegant solutions are also warmly welcomed.

Thanks,

-Chris Mayes