Re: Tunnel vs direct connect to remote PA server - tunnel unreliable

Wow! Good find!

I'll see if I can duplicate this result by installed some kind of time sync in the virtualbox machine that I mentioned.

As far as controlling the volume remotely, I think you're right in thinking that the tunnel isn't a remote control onto the remote sink, it's a "virtual" sort of sink that passes through to the real one.

I'd look up how to load env variables into a .desktop file and make a launch icon for pavucontrol and call it something like "RPi Pavucontrol". Pavucontrol seems to have some more features than I recall seeing, so maybe one can simply select the remote sink and mess with it? (either of these approaches will require that you have permissions to do that on the remote server)

In my own quick experiment, I was able to use pasystray to select what server to mess with, then run pavucontrol, etc... but it gets confusing fast.