Need to information to implement a media player

Hi!

I am implementing a headless media player. I have played a bit with the pulseaudio client asynchronous API and I am able to play my files with no problem, which is great.
However, I have some questions about pulse audio usage:
- is it OK to open a stream as soon as the application starts, even if no sound will be eventually played? Or should I open a stream only when a song is requested to be played and close it once it has finished?
- is it OK to use a single stream for several songs or is it better to use separate streams, one for each song? I thought it may be easier to use a single stream to implement gapless playback, but I may be wrong.

Thanks for your help.