Re: play music stream on headless server

On 2/14/20 8:05 PM, sean darcy wrote:
I'm trying to play music on a headless server, on which firefox will be playing a streaming channel.

If I'm on the headless server all works well.

But when I ssh into the server as the same user, nothing works. If I start pulseaudio:

pulseaudio -D

pa finds no sinks:

pacmd list-sinks
1 sink(s) available.
   * index: 0
     name: <auto_null>
     driver: <module-null-sink.c>
     properties:
         device.description = "Dummy Output"
         device.class = "abstract"
         device.icon_name = "audio-card"

This should be common use case. How do I set it up ?

sean

Maybe I asked this incorrectly.

I'd like to ssh into a headless remote machine. Start a browser which shows on my local machine. Use the browser to stream music, and I want the music to play on the _remote_ machine.

I'm surprised that this doesn't Just Work, but it doesn't.

Any suggestions ? Any link to a howto ?

Or is this the wrong mailing list for this question ?

sean