Re: R: New equalizer module (module-eqpro-sink), some questions

On 22.04.19 09:34, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
On Sat, 2019-04-20 at 11:38 +0200, Georg Chini wrote:
PA uses malloc() in the IO-thread, so are we doing things wrong?
I think using malloc() when a parameter changes is not interfering
with real-time operation because the filter must be reset after
a parameter change anyway.
Where exactly is malloc() used? Sounds like a bug.

Well, for example pa_memblock_new() potentially uses malloc and
this is surely used from the I/O thread. I did not check, but I guess
there are also places where something like pa_xstrdup() or pa_xnew()
is used from the I/O thread. At least I was not aware that there
are any restrictions.
pa_rtpoll_item_new() also potentially uses malloc().

All in all there are many places where malloc() might be used.

Well, after evaluation of the feedback I have been getting so far,
I do not think I will make an attempt to create some plugin-sink.
The existing standards do not fit to what I have in mind and
if I read Alexander right they even intentionally do not support
those features.

Inventing a PA internal standard does not make sense, because
your main argument against implementing the equalizer as a module
was that you did not want to host the DSP code inside PA. If we
did our own standard, new filters would again be bound to PA.
New filters would be specific to PA, yes, but not maintained by us, and
new filters wouldn't have to go through the review process, so there
would still be some benefit in having a PA specific stable plugin API.

I don't understand. What is the difference between having DSP
code in a module or in a filter plugin? After consolidation of
the virtual sinks, there is nearly nothing left in the modules that
would need our attention. It is mostly pure DSP code. I think now
writing a module is the quickest way to get a filter working and
using another plugin format would only complicate things. So
from my point of view, there already is a PA specific plugin format
and I am not going to invent another one. When the messaging
API patches are reviewed, I will write an addition to the virtual
sink library which makes setting parameters easy.