Re: Weak bass in stereo mode – possibility of virtual 2.1 sound profiles

пт, 5 окт. 2018 г. в 21:55, Karl Ove Hufthammer <karl@xxxxxxxxxx>:

But, strangely, real 5.1 material are now somewhat messed up. I use the
wonderful

   hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_5_1_lossless.m2ts

video file (available several places on the Web – I’m not sure what its
original Web site is) as a test file. The front left/right/centre sounds
are OK. But when the rear right sound is played, the sound is mainly
coming from my *front* right speaker (though *some* sound is also coming
from my rear right speaker). And the sound volume is much when playing
the sound is much lower than for the front left/right/centre sounds. For
the rear left sound, a similar thing happens; i.e. the sound is mainly
coming from my *front* left speaker.

I don’t understand why this is happening. Shouldn’t
‘remixing-use-all-sink-channels = no’ just affect *upmixing* of sound,
and leave 5.1 material alone?

This is a known bug that appears because there are two 5.1 standards: proper 5.1 and 5.1 Side. The video player (I guess you use mpv) says: the extra two channels have to come from the side. But your system does not have speakers there, it has them on the rear. So PulseAudio attempts to remix. In fact, sound both with and without remixing-use-all-sink-channels is wrong. Solutions: either upgrade to a 7.1 system or use a different player that doesn't care about Side and Rear. Totem or anything other GStreamer-based should work fine.

But in reality this should be fixed in PulseAudio code. Maybe I will work on it next week.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov