Re: Weak bass in stereo mode – possibility of virtual 2.1 sound profiles

Alexander E. Patrakov skreiv 05.10.2018 14:41:
пт, 5 окт. 2018 г. в 12:36, Karl Ove Hufthammer <karl@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:karl@xxxxxxxxxx>>:

    I use my NVIDIA graphics card as a combined graphics and sound card,
    connected to my 5.1 home theatre system via an HDMI cable (something
    which works surprisingly well). […]

Hello!

I think you forgot to specify the version of PulseAudio...

Yes, sorry. I use PulseAudio 12.2 (on openSUSE Tumbleweed).

    The 5.1 profile (‘hdmi-surround-extra1’) also work fine for *some*
    stereo material, mainly music. But for *most* stereo material, the
    upmixing makes everything sound too echoey (this is typically a
    problem
    for movies with just stereo sound and for vocal-heavy music), so I
    usually just use the stereo profile (‘hdmi-stereo-extra1’) for stereo
    material.

There is a setting that prohibits upmixing (i.e. filling the rear channels with a copy of front). It is called remixing-use-all-sink-channels=false. But it is a relatively recent addition. It does exist in Ubuntu 18.04.

Thank you! That almost did the trick! With

  remixing-use-all-sink-channels = no

and the ‘Digital Surround 5.1’ profile, stereo material now sound much richer, i.e. with proper bass effects, and without any echo effect. The audio is coming from just my front left/right speakers and subwoofer. Perfect!

But, strangely, real 5.1 material are now somewhat messed up. I use the wonderful

  hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_5_1_lossless.m2ts

video file (available several places on the Web – I’m not sure what its original Web site is) as a test file. The front left/right/centre sounds are OK. But when the rear right sound is played, the sound is mainly coming from my *front* right speaker (though *some* sound is also coming from my rear right speaker). And the sound volume is much when playing the sound is much lower than for the front left/right/centre sounds. For the rear left sound, a similar thing happens; i.e. the sound is mainly coming from my *front* left speaker.

I don’t understand why this is happening. Shouldn’t ‘remixing-use-all-sink-channels = no’ just affect *upmixing* of sound, and leave 5.1 material alone?

(When I use ‘remixing-use-all-sink-channels = yes’, the 5.1 sound is correct, i.e. all the sounds come from the speakers they are supposed to.)

    But I have noticed than when playing music or videos using the stereo
    profile, the sound is missing quite some oomph, i.e. the bass is
    *much*
    weaker (compared to the same material played using the 5.1 profile).

    I guess the reason is that PulseAudio outputs a pure stereo sound,
    and
    my home theatre system doesn’t redirect enough of the low-frequency
    sound to my subwoofer. And unfortunately, my (not too expensive) home
    theatre system doesn’t have any options for increasing this (for HDMI
    audio).

Are you sure that the subwoofer gets anything at all in this mode?

Yes, it gets *some* sound. But I guess that’s just my home theatre system redistributing some of the 2.0 sound.

-- Karl Ove Hufthammer