running pulseaudio on an embedded device with no X as a network sink

On 03.01.2018 00:44, Doron Behar wrote:
> Bump
>
> On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 11:34:29AM +0200, Doron Behar wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I'm trying for a while now to run pulseaudio on my Raspberry-Pi 3 and
>> I can't get it to work. I posted a question with a lot of details on
>> stackexchange.com:
>>
>> https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q/76871/78180

What you describe there is not about using PA as a network sink.
Did you read
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/SystemWide/
Have you created the necessary user and groups and added
the local user to the pulse-access group?

Also, you should start PA really as root. The sudo command
you give further down will pass the user environment to the
daemon. So "su - root" (not simply "su root") and then start
PA instead of using sudo.
To test your setup, please use paplay instead of aplay. aplay
is an alsa tool.

>> As I said there, I have installed `omxplayer`. It works, proving my
>> hardware is totally OK.
>>
>> I want to eventually plug my Raspberry-Pi into electricity and to be able
>> to add a network sink from a different computer with a command like this
>> running on the local machine:
>>
>> ```
>> pacmd load-module module-tunnel-sink server=archpi
>> ```
>>
>> I'm pretty sure that eventually the way to do this involves having an
>> enabled systemd service that will run `pulseaudio --daemonize=false
>> --system=true`.
>>
>> Here is what I've tried so far:
>>
>> I've tried to test this with `sudo pulseaudio --system=true -vv
>> --daemonize=false` on a user session.

See above.

>> I also made sure the file `/etc/pulse/system.pa` on the remote machine has
>> the following lines:
>>
>> ```pa
>> load-module module-native-protocol-tcp auth-ip-acl=127.0.0.1;192.168.14.0/24 auth-anonymous=true
>> load-module module-zeroconf-publish
>> load-module module-zeroconf-discover
>> ```

You do not need module-zeroconf-discover on the remote side, only on the
client side.
Did you check that 192.168.14.0/24 is the correct network for you?
Do you have the avahi daemon running on client and server? Do you need
it at all?
 From what you are writing above, I guess that auto discovery is not
necessary in your
setup. Then you don't need avahi (at least not for PA) and the zeroconf
modules.
On the client machine, you should only need to do something like:

pacmd load-module module-tunnel-sink server=192.168.x.y
sink_name=remote_sink sink="the name of the sink on the remote machine"

Replace server= and sink= with the appropriate values for your setup.

Then you should see a sink "remote_sink" on your client.